About BPW London
BPW develops the business, professional and leadership potential of women on all levels through advocacy, education, mentoring, networking, skill-building, and economic empowerment programs and projects around the world.
BPW is a non-sectarian, non-profit, and non-partisan organization. It is an equality-seeking group working toward the improvement of economic, employment and social conditions affecting women.
BPW Members have a wide range of work and educational experience. BPW London, founded in 1945, is a member of the Business and Professional Women Ontario (BPW Ontario) and the Canadian Federation of Business and Professional Women (BPW Canada). These organizations are dedicated to improving the lives of women everywhere.
BPW Canada was founded in 1930, the same year as the International Federation of Business and Professional Women (BPW International) and is one of BPW International’s Founding Federations. BPW International has Consultative Status at the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) and now includes affiliates in more than 100 countries around the world.
Membership in BPW London includes membership in the provincial, national and international BPW organizations thereby encouraging participation at events around the world.
BPW’s Aims & Objectives
BPW aims to unite business and professional women through the following objectives:
Work For Women’s:
- economic independence
- equal opportunity and representation in economic, civil and political life
Encourage and Support Women and Girls:
- to develop their professional and leadership potential
- to undertake lifelong education and training
- to use their abilities for the benefit of others, locally, provincially and nationally
- for the elimination of all discrimination against women
- for human rights and the use of gender-sensitive perspectives
- local, province and national networking and co-operation between business and professional women
- non-profit projects that help women gain economic independence to present the views of business and professional women to local, provincial and national organizations and agencies, and to business, governments and civil society
To extend to members and the community an enhanced awareness of issues, interests and practices that affect women at municipal, provincial, national and international levels.
To effect positive change for women through advocacy, community outreach, networking and collaboration with like-minded organizations.
To support members and all women in developing their capacity for leadership, communication and personal, professional and business excellence.
Whether you share our interests or concerns and would like to work with us to achieve our aims and objectives, or you’re just a casual visitor, we’d love to hear from you or welcome you to a club meeting.
BPW grows your leadership potential to:
- Assume leadership roles in the workplace, the marketplace and community
- Achieve entrepreneurial and business success
- Occupy political service in the municipal, provincial and national spheres
- Serve on boards
- Become a member of the BPW Leadership team
BPW empowers you to:
- Recognize and develop your full potential, your professional advancement and your leadership capacity
- Appreciate your accomplishments and talent (e.g. awards, accreditation and vocation promotion)
- Partner with and recognize organizations and businesses that merit distinction for their commitment to empowering women
“Each woman, as a citizen, must bring to the national policy of her own country, the contribution of forward-looking and constructive thought followed by determined action. Each woman must dedicate herself to protect and promote the interests of all other women in business and professions.”
Lena Madesin Phillips, founder and first President of BPW International, 1930
BPW works to achieve equal opportunity, economic equality, accountability and health and safety for all women by:
- Reinforcing the value that women bring to business, the community and society
- Stimulating leadership and business potential of women at all levels
- Advancing equal opportunities through business, community and government partnerships, initiatives and actions that promote
- Women’s Empowerment Principles
- Equal Pay Day activities that advance Equal pay for work of equal value, pay equity, gender equality and sensitivity
- Health, safety and freedom from violence
- Entrepreneurial and business success
BPW advocates for meaningful change for women, men and society as a whole at all levels of the organization by:
- Broadening awareness and supporting your calls for change at the local, provincial, national and international levels of government and oversight (e.g. UN participation, local and national legislative policy changes, social media campaigns, etc.)
- Educating, training and personal and professional development for all women
BPW connects women into a global web of influence. Membership in BPW London includes membership in BPW Ontario, BPW Canada and BPW International – the International Federation of Business and Professional Women, with clubs in more than 100 countries around the world. Our International Federation has Category I Consultative Status at the United Nations since 1947.
Could you benefit from?:
Global business connections
Recognition and realizing your aspirations within a respectful & supportive global environment
BPW London History
Business and Professional Women London (BPW London) have been making a difference in London’s business community and overall work-life experience since 1945. Women from all walks of life and all ages come together through BPW London for Professional Development, Supportive Networking, Leadership Opportunities and to address Women’s Issues.
BPW London is a member of the Business and Professional Women Ontario (BPW Ontario) and the Canadian Federation of Business and Professional Women (BPW Canada).
Professional Development occurs on many levels in BPW – during monthly dinner meetings and through the nationally sponsored Career Skills Achievement Certificate Program. This program offers our members powerful training in Mentoring, Time and Meeting Management, Public Speaking, Gender Equity, Business Etiquette. Networking and developing lasting friendships are fundamental to the BPW London membership.
Opportunities are limitless for Leadership Development through club participation and advocacy at the Municipal, Provincial, National and International level. BPW at all levels of government is recognized for its informed and influential voice. BPW International has consultative status with the United Nations and truly offers members a meaningful connection to the world.
Today the London BPW is comprised of working women from all walks of life who come together to effect change in our world. Through BPW, London women experience professional development, supportive networking leadership and career advancement opportunities while addressing women’s issues.
Remembering Our History:
As BPW women, we must always remember our sisters who came before us, and the struggles they faced so that women could be where they are today.
BPW London Past-Presidents
|Sophy Ford||1945 – 1946|
|Mary Gillespie||1946 – 1947|
|Phyllis Cooper||1947 – 1949|
|Edith Millard||1949 – 1950|
|Willa Gammage||1951 – 1953|
|Dorothy Constable||1953 – 1955|
|Winnifred Barnes||1955 – 1957|
|Carmel Connelly||1957 – 1959|
|Kathleen Schafer||1959 – 1961|
|Marguerite Lawler||1961 – 1963|
|Maria Davidson||1963 – 1965|
|Hazel Phillips||1965 – 1967|
|Kathleen Pfohl||1967 – 1969|
|Shirley Jones||1969 – 1970|
|Beatrice (Peggy) Sullivan||1970 – 1972|
|Mildred Marston||1972 – 1974|
|Ethel Obokata||1974 – 1976|
|Alma Sadler||1976 – 1977|
|Frances La Franier||1977 – 1978|
|Dorothy Turner||1978 – 1980|
|Valerie Woodward||1980 – 1982|
|Ivana Baldelli||1982 – 1983|
|Vickie Hughes||1983 – 1985|
|Heather McCarthy||1985 – 1987|
|Vickie Hughes||1987 – 1989|
|Doris Hall||1989 – 1991|
|Marg Petznick||1991 – 1993|
|Susan Dill||1993 – 1994|
|Christine Scott||1994 – 1995|
|Jayne Graham||1995 – 1997|
|Marian Smibert||1997 – 1999|
|Sheila Crook||1999 – 2001|
|Brenda Carpenter||2001 – 2003|
|Linda Davis||2003 – 2005|
|Deb Taylor||2005 – 2008|
|Carole Orchard||2008 – 2010|
|Laura Noble||2010 – 2013|
|Winn Barnett||2013 – 2018|
|Norma Yau||2018 – 2020|
|Kelsy Gill||2020 – 2022|