Mental Health: Stigma or Real Life?
BPW London's Speaker Series Dinners: 2017 - 2018
Speaker Series' Sponsors
- September 19, 2017 - Mental Illnesses: What Is Your MH Quotient? BPW London's introduction to the Mental Health: Stigma or Real Life Speaker Series. Norma Yau, BPW London Programs and Personal Development Chair, will provide an overview of mental illness and also an introduction to BPW.
- October 17, 2017 - Anxiety in Youth: How One Youth Copes Everyday. Courtney Coleman, a young actress, who is represented by AMP Talent Agency, and is a speaker for mental health organizations, will be the guest speaker for the evening. Courtney will discuss her continuing journey through mental illness and how she fights it each day and will share stories of her grandmother who lost a battle with mental illness. A special guest will be attending dinner with Courtney – come to hear a special performance by her and her guest.
- November 21, 2017 - Social Media and the Mental Health Connection. Katie Cole (Medway High School teacher, and Media Education Specialist) will lead a discussion on digital abuse and misuse and its effect on the mental health of students. Mrs. Cole developed the teaching resource that is available in all Ontario schools, "Critical Media Literacy: Addressing Violence in the Media" and the "Digital Mentors" project in the Thames Valley District School Board. She believes that "with great 'technological' power, comes great responsibility.
- January 16, 2018 - Is Housing All the MH Challenged Really Need? Tilley Holmes Inc., is a property management company providing housing for non-profits. Tilley Holmes Co-owner Nancy Holmes, will explain the issues of housing mentally disabled people and what else is needed to assist them in living independently.
- February 20, 2018 - Mental Health Issues for Refugee Women: Top or Bottom of the To-Do Checklist? Tendayi Gwaradzimba, is a refugee from Zimbabwe, who was educated as a Registered Nurse, Psychiatric Nurse and Community Nurse as well worked for the United Nations with refugees. She is the Community Outreach Co-Ordinator at North Park Community Church and is able to share her expertise at the church's LIfe Resource Centre that is the home to World Tailors. Tendayi will share her journey to Canada and dealing with mental health issues of refugees to Canada. World Tailors and their aprons will also be attending the dinner.
The evening will also include the Annual BPW International Candle Lighting Ceremony honouring BPW's historical memories, our accomplishments and celebrate today’s achievements.
***February Dinner Sponsored by Kari Martene, Owner, MeleKare, 170 Hamilton Road, London ***
- March 20, 2018 - Are You Exercising Both Mentally and Physically As You Age? Lisa Van Bussel, Geriatric Psychiatrist with St. Joe's and Schulich School of Medicine and Associate Professor at Western University has completed extensive research on aging. She will present her findings on mental health focus for later life, stigma, causes and the Fountain of Health (an Initiative for optimal aging in Canada).
- April 17, 2018 - Help Make Her Voice Be Heard. The discussion of resolutions developed by Business & Professional Women's clubs across Canada.
- May 15, 2018 - Do You See What I See? Erica Dornbusch, Artist: "As a visually impaired artist facing further loss of vision, I’m narrowing my focus and refining my field of scope. If I only have so much time to put paint on canvas, I remain committed to voraciously doing exactly that until I can’t in the same way any longer. And, then I’ll find different ways to do the same thing." Meet Erica and listen and watch as she describes her journey.
***May Dinner Sponsored by Karen & Al Stewart, Owners: Westland Gallery & The Art Exchange, Wortley Village***
- June 19, 2018 - Carole's 10th Annual & Final Gourmet BBQ Fundraiser. Members, guests, friends, significant others are invited to BPW London's 10th Annual Gourmet BBQ Social and Fundraiser. Cost is $35 for members and guests. Location: Home of Carole Orchard. Click here to view 2017's menu and photos. Sold out!!
Save the Dates: July 17 and August 21. BPW London will be announcing two summer events!
The complete 2018 - 2019 program will be available late July/early August.
Complete Speaker Series Information
Sponsor a Dinner